Veteran Affairs Loan (VA Loan)
Our active-duty military and veterans deserve only the best, and that’s why there’s a loan option designed specifically for them. With a Veteran Affairs Loan (VA Loan), veterans, active-duty military, and their spouses have the most affordable and flexible home financing options to purchase a new home and to refinance their existing mortgage.
Apply online for a customized recommendation from a licensed expert.
VA Home Loan Benefits
- 100% financing is available even if you have money for a down payment.
- Best average fixed rates. VA loans are typically at least .5% lower than other programs – providing you with a much lower monthly mortage payment.
- No monthly mortgage insurance payments. VA Loans keep your monthly payments even lower by eliminating PMI.
- Ultimate credit flexibility. There is technically no credit score minimum for VA loans, and they may vary between borrowers – providing ultimate flexibility compared to other loan programs.
How do VA Loans Work?
An FHA Loan is a mortgage which is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). The insurance protects the mortgage lender from individuals who default on payments and if the home goes into foreclosure. With this protection, lenders can offer FHA Loans to people with less than perfect credit, who don’t have much for a down payment, and to those who need a little more flexibility with debt-to-income ratios.
Those who apply for one of these loans need to pay the FHA mortgage insurance. There are two types of mortgage premiums that are paid – upfront and annual. The upfront mortgage insurance premium is 1.75% of the loan amount and added to the mortgage balance. The annual premium is between 0.45% percent to 1.05% but paid monthly as a part of your mortgage payment.
Similar to conventional home loans, an FHA loan is available with 15-year and 30-year fixed interest rate terms.
Is an VA Loan Right for Me?
An FHA Loan is popular among first-time homebuyers due to the more lenient qualifications, but they are available for anyone who fits the criteria. FHA Loans are great options for those who have little funds for a down payment, or those who don’t want to have a large down payment despite having the money to do so.
It is also a great loan program for individuals who have made some mistakes on credit – and waiting to get qualified for a Conventional Loan will take too long for their housing needs. For example, a couple who is having their first child needs more bedrooms to accommodate the new addition to the family. They need a new home within the next few months and qualifying for a Conventional home loan would be a year or more later.
One of the best aspects of an FHA Loan is the payment is very comparable to that of a Conventional Loan when only putting the minimum down payment on either of them. So, there is no need for concern of “missing out” that you don’t qualify for a Conventional Loan now.
What Is the Criteria to Qualify?
As mentioned earlier, FHA Loans have more lenient criteria compared to other mortgages. However, there are still some lending guidelines that need to be met in order to become eligible for FHA loans.
- You must provide a 3.5% down payment, which can be from your own funds or a gift from someone. For example, if your brand new home costs $250,000, then the lowest amount you’ll need to have ready is $7,500 to get approved for the loan.
- You’ll also need a FICO score of at least 580. However, if you have made over 10% of your down payment, then the required score could be lower.
- Similarly, your debt-to-income (DTI) ratio cannot exceed 47% from income sources that are verifiable. The best way to figure out your individual DTI ratio is by adding your monthly debt payments together and then dividing that figure by your monthly income before taxes.
Quick, Simple, and Secure
Why Trust House Mortgage
As one of the leading FHA home loan experts, House Mortgage has decades of experience helping people with customized FHA home loans. We are one of the top first-time home buyer experts in Connecticut, and we offer the most comprehensive selection of loan options for you to choose from - while guiding you throughout the homebuying process.
Become a first home buyer
To get advice on whether an FHA Loan is the best option for you, speak with one of our mortgage company Connecticut loan officers. We will determine which loan programs you qualify for, and make a personalized recommendation based on your unique needs.